Britain

Home Britain

KFC were warned by the GMB if they switched suppliers there...

The crisis is believed to be costing KFC £1 million a day (Picture: WENN) The great chicken shortage..

FTSE 100 adds another few points; US to open higher over...

FTSE 100 adds 94 points US to open higher Markets ignore US-China tensions 1.20pm: US to open higher over easier restrictions optimism The Footsie added 94 points to 6,161 after lunch, while US indices were also expected to open higher riding the same wave of optimism over easier restrictions. “The soft reopening so far appears to be going well and is leading to further easing measures, including the prospect of travel again before the summer is over which is coming as a huge relief to those in the industry that have been ravaged by the crisis,” commented Craig Erlam, analyst at OANDA Europe. “As yet, the strained relationship between the US and China hasn't hampered markets too much but that could quickly change.” Back home, several chains have announced plans to resume trading before the 1 June reopening date set by the government earlier this week. Halfords Group PLC (LON:HFD) is to fully reopen 53 of its 446 stores by Friday after trialling social distancing measures. T..

Audi driven at pedestrians during mass brawl in Manchester

Police have shut off an area of Manchester after a massive brawl outside a nightclub (Picture: LNP) An Audi A3 was driven at pedestrians during a mass early hours brawl in Manchester this morning, police said. Trouble kicked off after a fight at the nightclub Twenty Twenty Two in the city spilled out into the street. Greater Manchester Police said a black car was driven at a man outside the venue and they are investigating reports of a firearm being shot. Three men were taken to hospital with injuries but none are life-threatening. Police have cordoned off a large part of the citys Northern Quarter after the disturbance, which they said was not terror related. Forensic officers have been deployed in the Northern Quarter of Manchester after the brawl (Picture: LNP) ManchesterRead More – Source

Rapist jailed for ‘savage’ attack on his 17th birthday

A violent teenage rapist who "hunted" his victim in a park and hit her over the head with a paving s..

Identical triplets jailed for plot to supply dangerous criminal with guns

Identical triplets jailed for conspiracy to supply guns (Picture: SWNS, PA) Three brothers have been jailed for a combined 46 years for conspiring to supply a rapper with an extraordinarily serious Uzi submachine gun and a loaded pistol. Reiss, Ralston and Ricky Gabriel tried to evade detection by relying on their shared DNA and appearance but were tracked down with mobile phone and surveillance evidence. The 28 year olds from Edmonton, north London, were found guilty of conspiracy to possess firearms and ammunition with intent to endanger life in July. The guns were intended for a convicted criminal who had been out on licence, having been released from an 11 year prison sentence for indiscriminately shooting into a crowded street near Wood Green tube station in 2010. An innocent passer-by was hit in the leg when Aron Thomas, 32, a rapper who performed under the name Vipex, let off eight shots with a 9mm handgun. Identical triplets Ralston, Reiss and Ricky Gabriel , all 28 (Picture: SWNS) Aron Thomas, 32 (Picture: SWNS) Ricky and Ralston, both semi-professional footballers, were each jailed for 14 years at Blackfriars Crown Court on Friday, September 6. Advertisement Advertisement Reiss, also pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life after he was caught with a handgun on July 26 last year, and two counts of possession of Class A drugs with intent to supply. He was jailed for a total of 18 years. DNA found on the handgun was linked to all three but it was impossible for police to prove which brother it belonged to. Scotland Yards investigation was able to determine each had been involved in handling the weapons, the court heard. The triplets, each wearing grey Nike tracksuits, smirked during sentencing and grinned to friends and family in the public gallery as they were led to the cells. Elyace Hamchaoui, 23. (Picture: SWNS) Sentencing the brothers, Judge John Hillen said: All three of you were involved in an agreement to source and deliver the weapons to an extremely dangerous criminal, Aron Thomas, for his use. Each one of you was involved in the transaction to supply Aron Thomas with weapons and ammunition. One or more of you clearly had access to organised criminals, or organised groups of criminals, capable of obtaining firearms and ammunition for onward transfer. The judge added: These types of weapons would have been used against a person or persons, and a police intervention is the only reason any serious harm did not occur. Armed police found an Uzi with a silencer and ammunition as well as a loaded pistol on courier Hamza Ahmed, 21, after stopping a taxi in Tottenham, north London, on April 10, 2017. Hamza Ahmed, 21. was jailed 16 years Prosecutor Kerry Broome said: An Uzi submachine gun is clearly an extraordinarily serious firearm. It is not capable of any laRead More – Source

Parliament was ‘misled’ over true cost of HS2, rogue report claims

The cost of HS2 is "out of control" and could spiral to £107bn, according to the former deputy chairman of government's independent review into the project. Lord Tony Berkeley says that parliament would never have agreed to the high-speed rail line, due to connect London with the North and the Midlands, had they not been "misled" – and estimates the costs could now be three times the original estimate. In a rogue report he has produced separately from the rest of the government's independent review panel, he writes: "From the evidence I have seen, I believe that parliament was misled on the question of HS2 costs and that it is highly unlikely that, if it had been given the real cost figures by the Department of Transport, it would have passed the legislation to allow this project to proceed." Image: Lord Berkeley has now released his own report In August 2019, the government launched an independent review into HS2 to assess its affordability and benefits. Some questione..

Drug dealer caught after bags of cocaine fell out of his...

Gavin Buchan, 39, tried to hide the drugs in his mouth (Picture: Shutterstock) A drug dealer was caught by police after bags of cocaine hidden his mouth started falling out. Gavin Buchan, 39, was sitting in a silver Vauxhall Astra when officers pulled up alongside him on the A90 Aberdeen to Ellon road, on September 22 last year. He quickly attempted to hide his drugs by stuffing them in his cheeks, but then couldnt speak when the police asked him questions, Aberdeen Sheriff Court was told. Fiscal depute Lucy Simpson said: The accused was struggling to speak and was being asked to repeat himself when a small white parcel fell from his mouth. The officer attempted to catch it and the accused bit down on his finger. She continued: When the accused released it, further similar white packages fell from his mouth. Buchan was then searched and the bags, containing cocaine worth £560, and about £1,750 in cash were seized. He was made subject to an 18-month drug treatment and testing order (Picture: Shutterstock) Two months later he had drugs worth £1,500 confiscated. Advertisement Advertisement The court heard Buchan had been a fisherman before his Fraserburgh creel vessel was written-off, causing him to start dealing cocaine. He used his insurance payout to establish himself in the drugs trade, bu his actions soon caught police attention. Brexit delay to lifesaving cancer treatment 'will hit children hardest' Solicitor Ian Jane said the money funded Buchans Read More – Source

Briton wins bronze in big air snowboarding

British snowboarder Billy Morgan has won a bronze medal in the big air event at the Pyeongchang Wint..

Red Arrows engineer killed in RAF Valley jet crash

Media playback is unsupported on your device An engineer has died after a Red Arrows jet crashed at..

Union warns care workers not to use UK government Covid-19 app

Care workers have been warned by a trade union not to use a government app meant to help them during the coronavirus pandemic because it allows their managers to identify staff who have complained about pay, testing and personal protective equipment. Matt Hancock launched a mobile app last week for 1.5 million people in the adult social care workforce which was supposed to distribute policy updates and infection control advice through smart phones. The Care Workforce App promised to help “care workers get access to guidance, learning resources, discounts and other support all in one place.” But the GMB union has advised members to avoid using the app because it has a webchat function which is insecure, and it gives managers access to what are presumed to be private messages. Documents seen by the Guardian include a claim by one named care worker that an employer had failed to pay the minimum wage. “Was paid yesterday and noticed my wages didnt go up to the minimum wage on April 1s..

Most Popular