HORROR: Kate Stephens and Eddie Zytner contracted a skin disease after doing this at the beach
We’re all guilty of walking on the beach with our toes sinking into the silky sand.
But one couple who left their flip flops behind when strolling on the beach, soon regretted their decision.
Katie Stephens, 22, and Eddie Zytner, 25, from Canada, contracted a horrific disease when they pranced around the beach in Punta Cana, Dominician Republic, without any sandals.
SKIN DISEASE: The couple caught the disease by walking barefoot in the sand
“All this just from walking barefoot on the beach”
Not realising why their feet were itchy, Kate and Eddie took notice of their symptoms only when they arrived back home.
Eddie’s feet began to swell up, with blisters and bumps popping up all over. Katie’s soon began to follow suit and several trips to the doctor finally explained why.
The lovebirds had contracted cutaneous larva migrans, a skin condition caused when hookworms burrow into the skin.
It became apparent that hookworms – tiny parasites less than 1cm in size which usually affect cats and dogs – had been lurking in the sand.
According to the US Centres for Disease Control and Presentation (CDC), hookworm larvae make their way into unprotected skin where they crawl around, which causes visible red tracks known as “creeping eruptions” to appear.
Rare Medical Conditions
Featuring the rarest diseases and disorders from around the globe. Caters News Agency
The baby boy has wrinkles on the face, has a very shrunken body and hollow eyes. The baby does not look like a new born at all.
After the horrific experience, Eddie posted the images on Facebook to warn others. He said: “I wanted to make this post because most doctors have never seen Larva Migrans before. 3 out of the 4 doctors we saw have never heard of this hookworm.
“If your feet begin to have an itch, swell or blister or look like mine, get those hooves checked out!
“All this just from walking barefoot on the beach. So, anyone travelling… Check with your resort and see if the beaches around you are cleaned regularly. And it’s best to wear shoes on the beach as much as possible!”
Last year, a bloke had to undergo surgery after he walked barefoot in the gym.
The anonymous Texan caught a flesh-eating bug after taking a shower without any slippers.