GETTY STOCK IMAGE
WINNER: La Concha Beach in San Sebastian is the best beach in Europe
You don’t have to jet off to the Caribbean to relax and enjoy the sun.
Stunning La Concha Beach in San Sebastian, Spain, has just been named as the best in Europe – and it's only a few hours away.
TripAdvisor announces the Travellers’ Choice beach awards every year and they’re based on the quality and quantity of traveller reviews and ratings gathered over a 12-month period.
San Sebastian on Spain’s northern coast is located in the centre of the city and boasts 1,500m of white sand.
GETTY STOCK IMAGE
EUROPE: San Sebastian on Spain’s northern coast is located in the centre of the city
It also has a small island – Isla Santa Clara – in the middle of the bay.
Beachgoers at La Concha can swim to the island, which has its own small beach, lighthouse, picnic tables and a bar.
The Spanish beach beat Elafonissi Beach in Greece and Falesia Beach in Portugal.
Top 10 beaches in the UK
Find out which are the hottest beaches in the UK.Getty Images Bournemouth Beach, Bournemouth, Dorset
“The beach is pristine and the water [is] so clear and lovely”
It even topped Britain’s best beach – Bournemouth – which was the fifth favourite in Europe.
One review on TripAdvisor said: “The beach is pristine and the water [is] so clear and lovely.”
La Concha Beach also took the crown for the best beach in Europe for 2017.
Top 10 beaches in the world
Check out the Top 10 beaches in the world.Getty Images Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands
Here are the top 10 beaches in Europe:
1. La Concha Beach, San Sebastian, Donostia, Spain
2. Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
3. Falesia Beach, Olhos de Agua, Portugal
4. Fig Tree Bay, Protaras, Cyprus
5. Bournemouth Beach, Bournemouth, Dorset
6. Kleopatra Beach, Alanya, Turkey
7. Spiaggia dei Conigli, Lampedusa, Sicily, Italy
8. Balos Beach and Lagoon, Kissamos, Crete, Greece
9. Playa de Ses Illetes, Formentera, Spain
10. Playa de Las Canteras, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria