SHARE

Harry Maguire is set to have a full retrial after being granted an appeal against his conviction for assault and attempted bribery in Greece.

The Manchester United captain was given a 21-month suspended sentence on Tuesday following his arrest after a brawl last week on the Greek island of Mykonos.

United said Maguire's legal team filed the appeal against the verdict on Wednesday and that it has been accepted.

Harry Maguire found guilty

A spokesman for the club said: "An appeal against yesterday's verdict was lodged this morning by Harry's legal team.

"In accordance with the Greek judicial process, the filing of an appeal extinguishes the initial court verdict and nullifies the conviction.

Advertisement

"The appeal has been accepted and will lead to a full retrial in a more senior court.

"This means that Harry has no criminal record and is once again presumed innocent until proven guilty. Accordingly, he is not subject to any international travel restrictions."

More from World

It is understood no date has yet been fixed, and while the club would like the matter dealt with as soon as possible, they recognise it could be a number of months before the appeal is heard.

Maguire was not present at the trial on Tuesday on the nearby island of Syros, when he was also found guilty of swearing in public. He was later removed from the England team by manager Gareth Southgate.

Harry Maguire has been included in Gareth Southgate's England squad
Maguire dropped from England team

Two other defendants – including Maguire's brother, Joe – were also found guilty on similar charges and handed 13-month sentences.

The sentences for all three defendants were suspended for three years.

Maguire posted on Instagram after being removed from the England squad over the assault conviction. sharing a quote attributed to Buddha, which said: "Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon and the truth."

Manchester United football team captain Harry Maguire leaves a courthouse on the Greek island of Syros, the administrative hub of the Cycladic island group that includes Mykonos on August 22, 2020. - Maguire was released from Greek police custody on August 22, 2020, TV footage showed, pending a hearing on assault charges on the neighbouring island of Mykonos. The £80 million (88 million euros) defender was arrested late on August 20, after what Greek police described as an "altercation" between two groups of British tourists on Mykonos. (Photo by EUROKINISSI / AFP) (Photo by EUROKINISSI/AFP via Getty Images)
Image: Harry Maguire leaves a courthouse on the Greek island of Syros

The 27-year-old defender was found guilty of all charges by the courtRead More – Source